Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 01:17:00 +0100 (CET)

> "Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:
>

> [...]
>
> | The MAC server on which this was compiled did not have an X-windows
> | environment so it was not possible to compile and test Axiom Graphics
> | and the Hyperdoc browser. Also native MAC OSX10 apparently does not
> | have support for the pts virtual terminal interface so it is not
> | possible yet to compile clef (the replacement for readline).
>
> I never quite understood why readline needs to be replaced.  Do you know?

The point is that Axiom can take input from multiple sources.  For
example you can fire a few copies of 'spadclient' and you can
interact with each copy separately.  In particular, hypertex can
send spad expresions for Axiom to evaluate.  Currently, input is
sent via sockets and line buferred, so in this mode readline
included in Axiom is not used.

Strictly speaking, clef could be dropped: one could link
readline into spadclient.  However, this will remove one
use of pty.  The second pty is used by 'sman' to intercept
normal Axiom input and output.  AFAICS this pty may be
eliminated with moderate effort.

BTW: I do not belive that MACOSX does not support pty's.
It may do it in slightly different way, but quite a lot
of unix programs (beggining with Xterm) would brake
without pty's.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden