Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2
Date: 02 Nov 2006 17:41:29 +0100

root <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]
know?
| > |
| > | clef knows more than readline. given an input file it can do smart
| > | command line completion of things like domain names.
| >
| > In what sense that "more knowledge" is unattainable with readline.
| > I dislike all those duplicated things in Axiom.  They are nothing but
| > source of confusion.
|
| At the time clef, hyperdoc, graphics, etc were written we were using
| X10 (not the house wireless, the pre-X11 windows) on 6MHz PCs. These
| ideas were invented within the group to solve problems, not because
| we wanted our own copies.

I suspected they were invented to solve problems.  Thankfully, we are in
2006 now.  readline has been around for more than a decade.
I'm trying to understand what would a barrier to stop the homegrown
clef (which from my experience is source of frustration) and use a
standard readline.

[...]

| If readline can do completions perhaps we should feed it the
| symbols in compress.daase.

We should put that on the TODO list.

-- gaby