RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom documentation and asq.c.pamphlet

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom documentation and asq.c.pamphlet
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 21:53:23 -0500

On November 5, 2006 6:11 PM Waldek Hebisch wrote:
> I just neticed that a large documentation hunk was copied
> almost verbatim from 'src/interp/daase.lisp.pamphlet' into
> 'src/etc/asq.c.pamphlet' IMHO this is _very_ bad practise. It
> increas work needed to maintain Axiom.  And the to copies are
> likely to get out of sync anyway, which will cause confusion
> to the readers.
>
> AFAICS the copy in 'src/etc/asq.c.pamphlet' should be removed
> and replaced by text like:
>
> Database structure is described in [[src/interp/daase.lisp.pamphlet]].
> Note that [[asq]] currently works only with compressed databases.

On November 5, 2006 6:39 PM Tim Daly replied:

> Although the text in some blocks is the same the structure of the
> documents are different. Asq does not contain all of the information
> that is in daase. Both documents needs explanation and they will
> diverge in the future. I'm looking at changing asq to handle html
> style output. The information will certainly diverge (and you'll
> notice that they are structured differently) as I continue to
> change asq. The asq changes are not fully documented. Please have
> patience.

I strongly agree with Waldek. You should not be duplicating information
from src/interp/daase.lisp.pamphlet in the documentation for asq. This
is independent of whether asq produces HTML styly output or not. In
reference to the underlying database structure I think you should use
Waldek's version.