Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 19:37:11 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, Humberto Ortiz-Zuazaga wrote:

| Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
|
| > While composing this message, I fired the upgrade to the most recent
| > GCL-2.6.8pre.  Do you see any other patches that I may have forgotten
| > that should go into build-improvements?
|
| I still can't pull the svn source on the Mac, so I pulled on a linux box
| and copied them over to the Mac this morning.
|
| I have built axiom again. I needed to patch 2 files:
|
| 1) src/hyper/hthits.pamphlet, using Waldek's patch:
|
| http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2006-11/msg00195.html
|
| and
|
| 2) $ svn diff src/graph/viewman/viewman.c.pamphlet
| Index: src/graph/viewman/viewman.c.pamphlet
| ===================================================================
| --- src/graph/viewman/viewman.c.pamphlet        (revision 252)
| +++ src/graph/viewman/viewman.c.pamphlet        (working copy)
| @@ -116,7 +116,7 @@
|    int keepLooking,code;
|
|    bsdSignal(SIGPIPE,brokenPipe,DontRestartSystemCalls);
| -#if defined(BSDplatform)
| +#if defined(BSDplatform) || defined (MACOSXplatform)
|    bsdSignal(SIGCHLD,endChild,RestartSystemCalls);
|  #else
|    bsdSignal(SIGCLD,endChild,RestartSystemCalls);

Humberto --

  Thanks for your patience.  I'm testing the patch below.  I'll commit
it once build and test completed.

-- Gaby

2006-11-09  Gabriel Dos Reis  <address@hidden>

        * configure.ac.pamphlet (\subsection{C headers}): New.  Check for
        <regex.h>.  Document that the macros XXXplatform should be removed.
        * configure.ac: Regenerate.
        * configure: Likewise.

src/hyper/
2006-11-09  Waldek Hebisch  <address@hidden>
            Gabriel Dos Reis  <address@hidden>

        * hthits.pamphlet: Remove use of <regexp.h>, and required C
        preprocessor macro interface.  Explain why.
        (searchPage): Update.

src/graph/viewman/
2006-11-09  Humberto Ortiz-Zuazaga <address@hidden>

        * viewman.c.pamphlet (main): Use SIGHLD on MAC OS X too.

*** configure.ac.pamphlet       (revision 16865)
--- configure.ac.pamphlet       (local)
*************** AC_SUBST(LISP)
*** 521,526 ****
--- 521,532 ----
  AC_SUBST(GCLOPTS)
  @

+ The C preprocessor symbols [[BSDplatform]], [[LINUXplatform]], etc. are being
+ used as ``catch all'' for unstructured codes.  They should be
+ removed from the source base.  Any source file using those should be
+ properly documented as its needs are, and a narrowed, specific configure
+ test should be added.
+

  \subsubsection{The [[SRC_SUBDIRS]] variable}
  The [[SRC_SUBDIRS]] variable is used in the [[src/Makefile.pamphlet]]
*************** AC_SUBST(X_PRE_LIBS)
*** 619,624 ****
--- 625,642 ----
  @

+ \subsection{C headers}
+
+ \subsubsection{Regex}
+
+ We need string pattern matching.  We require [[<regex.h>]] from POSIX
+ definition, as we assume that the host is sufficiently POSIX conformant
+ enough for our needs.
+ <<headers>>=
+ AC_CHECK_HEADER([regex.h], [], [AC_MSG_ERROR([Axiom needs <regex.h>])])
+ @
+
+

  \section{A note about comments}
  \label{sec:comment}
*************** poor masochist who will be debugging the
*** 658,663 ****
--- 676,683 ----

  <<build utils>>

+ <<headers>>
+
  <<locate X11>>

  <<define AXIOM>>

*** src/graph/viewman/viewman.c.pamphlet        (revision 16865)
--- src/graph/viewman/viewman.c.pamphlet        (local)
*************** main (void)
*** 116,122 ****
    int keepLooking,code;

    bsdSignal(SIGPIPE,brokenPipe,DontRestartSystemCalls);
! #if defined(BSDplatform)
    bsdSignal(SIGCHLD,endChild,RestartSystemCalls);
  #else
    bsdSignal(SIGCLD,endChild,RestartSystemCalls);
--- 116,122 ----
    int keepLooking,code;

    bsdSignal(SIGPIPE,brokenPipe,DontRestartSystemCalls);
! #if defined(BSDplatform) || defined (MACOSXplatform)
    bsdSignal(SIGCHLD,endChild,RestartSystemCalls);
  #else
    bsdSignal(SIGCLD,endChild,RestartSystemCalls);

*** src/hyper/hthits.pamphlet   (revision 16865)
--- src/hyper/hthits.pamphlet   (local)
***************
*** 1,15 ****
  \documentclass{article}
  \usepackage{axiom}
! \begin{document}
  \title{\$SPAD/src/hthits}
  \author{The Axiom Team}
  \maketitle
  \begin{abstract}
  \end{abstract}
  \eject
  \tableofcontents
  \eject
  \section{hthits.c}
  <<hthits.c>>=
  /*
   * hthits pattern htdb-file
--- 1,33 ----
  \documentclass{article}
  \usepackage{axiom}
!
  \title{\$SPAD/src/hthits}
  \author{The Axiom Team}
+
+ \begin{document}
  \maketitle
+
  \begin{abstract}
  \end{abstract}
  \eject
+
  \tableofcontents
  \eject
+
  \section{hthits.c}
+
+ This source file implements HyperDoc's ability to scan files for a
+ given pattern.  For that purpose it needs a ``regex'' for string
+ pattern matching.
+
+ This source file used to rely on [[<regexp.h>]],
+ which was originally part of the X/Open System Interface and Headers
+ Issue 2.  However, since then, it has been withdrawn and no longer
+ always available on newer platfroms.  Consequently,
+ we need to use a different, portable regex library.  The POSIX
+ definition provides one, namely through [[<regex.h>]].  That is what we
+ use now.  Its availability is tested at configure time.
+
  <<hthits.c>>=
  /*
   * hthits pattern htdb-file
*************** typedef struct pgInfo {
*** 53,77 ****

  #include "hthits.H1"

!
!
! /*
!  * Things for the regular expression scanning.
!  */
! char expbuf[MAX_COMP_REGEX];
!
! #define INIT      register char *sp = instring;
! #define GETC()    (*sp++)
! #define PEEKC()   (*sp)
! #define UNGETC(c) (--sp)
! #define RETURN(c) return(c);
! #define ERROR(c)  regerr(c);
!
! #if defined(RIOSplatform) && !defined(_AIX41) && defined(_XOPEN_SOURCE)
! /* AIX3 regexp.h includes NLregexp which we don't want */
! #undef _XOPEN_SOURCE
! #endif
! # include <regexp.h>

  /*
   * Global variables set according to the command line.
--- 71,78 ----

  #include "hthits.H1"

! #include <sys/types.h>
! #include <regex.h>

  /*
   * Global variables set according to the command line.
*************** char *progName;
*** 81,86 ****
--- 82,88 ----
  char *pattern;
  char *htdbFName;
  int gverifydates=0;
+ regex_t reg_pattern;

  int
  #ifdef _NO_PROTO
*************** main(int argc,char ** argv)
*** 93,99 ****
  {
      cmdline(argc, argv);

!     compile(pattern, expbuf, expbuf + MAX_COMP_REGEX, '\0');

      handleHtdb();
      return(0);
--- 95,101 ----
  {
      cmdline(argc, argv);

!     regcomp(&reg_pattern, pattern, REG_NEWLINE);

      handleHtdb();
      return(0);
*************** searchPage(char *pgname,char * pgtitle,c
*** 335,347 ****
  #endif
  {
      char *bodyrest;
      int nhits = 0;

!     if (step(pgtitle, expbuf))
          nhits++;

!     for (bodyrest = pgbody; step(bodyrest, expbuf); bodyrest = loc2)
          nhits++;
      if (nhits) {
          printf("\\newsearchresultentry{%d}{%s}",nhits, pgtitle);
          squirt(pgname, strlen(pgname));
--- 337,353 ----
  #endif
  {
      char *bodyrest;
+     regmatch_t match_pos;
      int nhits = 0;

!     if (!regexec(&reg_pattern, pgtitle, 1, &match_pos, 0))
          nhits++;

!     bodyrest = pgbody;
!     while (!regexec(&reg_pattern, bodyrest, 1, &match_pos, 0)) {
          nhits++;
+         bodyrest += match_pos.rm_eo;
+     }