Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements on cygwin

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements on cygwin
Date: 27 Nov 2006 21:16:45 +0100

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

| On November 27, 2006 1:02 PM Gaby wrote:
| > I've changed build-improvements to separate X11 stuff from
| > non-X11 stuff.
| >

| Is that separation of X11 stuff in the current build-improvements
| branch? (I could use that on some of the SourceForge compile farm
| machines.)

Yes, it is. (As part of my largest commit this week-end).

Configure detects (or can be told through --without-x) that X11 is not
available.   Consequently we don't build the X11 parts in src/
(e.g. graph, hyper).
However, I just discover that I did not commit the corresponding
part for src/lib.  Before you waste your time trying, let me correct
that part first.

| > The purpose of the exercise of building build-improvements on
| > cygwin (or mingw) is to see how effective the separation is,
| > and what remains to have an effective build.
|
| I would think that that main reason for using cygwin would be
| because you want X11 and pseudo terminals. No? But under native
| Windows this separation is necessary.

the reason I chosed to use cygwin for the host and build machine is
that it provides some POSIX/Unix functionalities that I'm not sure I
have under mingw, and on the other hand I can convince GCC to generate
mingw binaries from cygwin.  It was not for the X11 stuff.