Re: [Axiom-developer] new AXIOM release(s)

From: Vadim V. Zhytnikov
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] new AXIOM release(s)
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 19:07:38 +0300

root <address@hidden> writes:

So I'm resuming my role as "Lead Developer" and will generate a new release
in the near future.

This is really good news!

But maybe you find it possible to change the way
how Axiom releases are actually released.

1) IMHO publish release as CVS tree on SorceForge
is bad practice.  To make sure whether something
have changed or I still have some old release
I have to check all hundreds of files in CVS tree.
Publishing release as a single file (tarball)
is common practice and is much better IMHO.

2) I'd like to see some consistent version
numbering scheme for Axiom releases which
will last more than one year.  It will be
of great help for maintainers of .rpm and
.deb packages who package Axiom for
various Linux distributions and users
who use these packages.
Try to find axiom on www.rpmfind.com and
you'll see that now each packager invents
his own package numbering scheme - all
different.

I understand that both issues are purely
technical but I think they are important
enough from practical point of view.
After all this is question of identity.

With best regards,

Vadim