[Axiom-developer] Cleaning issues

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Cleaning issues
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 04:10:46 +0200 (CEST)

I have looked at older issues in Issue Tracker and it seems that
there are significant number of issues which are just users not
understanding what Axiom is doing and expecting different result.

For example issue 165 the user clearly do not understand that
that Axiom blindly performs specified computations and that

  [j for j in 4.. | j < 10 ]

simply is an infinite loop.  Correct stream computation work
because they eventually produce some output and compuation
is aborted when sufficently many elements are produced, but
this one just loops without producing any output.

BTW, my impression is that this issue is a duplicate.

Simiarly 335 sort! drops list elements is just example of
linked list.  Something like:

(1) -> bb := [3, 4, 1, 2]

   (1)  [3,4,1,2]
                                                   Type: List PositiveInteger
(2) -> bs := sort! bb

   (2)  [1,2,3,4]
                                                   Type: List PositiveInteger
(3) -> bb

   (3)  [3,4]
                                                   Type: List PositiveInteger
(4) -> bs

   (4)  [1,2,3,4]
                                                   Type: List PositiveInteger
(5) -> bb.1 := 7

   (5)  7
                                                        Type: PositiveInteger
(6) -> bs

   (6)  [1,2,7,4]
                                                   Type: List PositiveInteger
(7) ->

should be, or maybe already is in the tutoral, as an ilustration
that what was a first element of the list after reorganization
may point inside.

Those are just two examples, I would be good if somebody would
filter out other non-issues.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden