[Axiom-developer] Re: trunk

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: trunk
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 14:12:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, address@hidden wrote:

| > I would have highly preferred Tim put the new silver in /silver,
| > and keep branches/daly as his private branch; but he didn't so we must
| > learn to live with that.
|
| I put the code into branches/daly because it's not ready yet.  That
| code is the first version that passed all of the tests.

I believe the community wants to work as a community and is happy you make
that branch public.  I believe the community also thinks since that branch is
also the closest to become stable release, it should be the trunk/silver
branch.

[...]

| I do the work in public.

That is very much appreciated.

[...]

| > As for merge, it is going to be more painful than it has to be
| > primaily because Tim picked changes by carefully not picking the
| > revision number or ChangeLogs.
|
| When you make changes do you try to merge them with Gold and then
| publish either a diff-Naur or a revision number?

For me it is easier to track individual changes through their revision
numbers, than to *guess* them from a huge pile of diff.

| The revision number selection involves changesets which almost
| always include Makefile changes. But Gold does not have a matching
| Makefile so the changeset merge won't work.

Well, if I can make a first merge to trunk (which now contains your changes),
then it should be easier to make the step to Gold, since trunk will eventually
become "branched" for release.

| Perhaps the failure is due to my lack of understanding of how SVN
| merge is supposed to work. However I don't see how SVN merge can
| possibly be expected to merge a BI Makefile and a Gold Makefile.

Well, first I would like to (partially) sync build-improvements with trunk,
that is (partially) merge from trunk to build-improvements; then propose
series of patches from build-improvements to trunk.  The reason I would like
to (partially) merge from trunk to build-improvements, is that I want the
patches from build-improvements to trunk to contain only the modifications
that build-improvements actually did.

[...]

| It seems to me that the "responsibility" criteria is somehow reversed.

I'm not expecting nor asking someone else to do the merge for me.

And I do not intent to keep the work on build-improvement "private" -- there
are my local trees and gdr-sandbox for that :-)