Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Defining piece-wise functions and drawing, int

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Defining piece-wise functions and drawing, integrating, ...
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 00:35:55 +0200

I would agree to replace "Set" with something more algebraic,
e.g. a topos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topos

Cool. ;-) How many people know topoi in contrast to the number of people who grew up with sets?

The short answer to why everything must be algebraic is:
category theory. You can ask why try to base the Axiom library
on category theory, but that is an argument at a very different
level.

Oh, I have no problem with basing a library on category theory. But maybe at some point we should drop the "the" in "the Axiom library".

In fact, I would love to see a system that allows different views.
As mathematics can be based on set theory or category theory. Currently I think that would make two libraries. The interesting part comes when they should be allowed to be used at the same time.

In fact I think it is quite wrong that Axiom's library places
SetCategory so near to the top of the algebra hierarchy. It
would be better to start with something more primitive like the
concept of a cartesian close category.

I already hear people saying ... but hey, "sets" are much simpler than ccc's.

There are just different views and Axiom should support both of them and even more.

Actually, you could probably turn an ExpressionTree into some
form of universal algebra (just leave the set of operations
empty).

That would not make me nearly as happy as category theory. :-(

OK, you are responsible to start a library that builds on category theory.

Oh, maybe SExpression is near to what I want. But is somehow sounds to LISPish for me. ;-) Anyway, I think it would be a good
thing to have a very general expression domain (maybe like
SExpression) and yet others that only allow certain expression
trees that correspond to a grammar.

Yes. I think Gaby had some ideas along that line. We discussed
some aspects of that here:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxInductiveType

and on this list.

I don't think that this would allow me to transform the program (= inductive type) at runtime as I could do with expression trees.

Ralf