[Axiom-developer] Re: Google

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Google
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 10:38:06 -0400

Quoting Alfredo Portes <address@hidden>:

I was about to ask Ben to reset the repository and repopulate it
from sourceforge. Is that ok, to then put the script to sync?

As far as I know if we re-populate directly from an rsync of the
SourceForge repository then I think we will be in the same state
as before - using too much space for Google - because although
the old "silver" root directory no longer appears in the repository
listing it is still in the repository history. As I understand it nothing
can really be deleted from SVN unless you have 'svnadmin' access
and you do some kind of export and re-import.
What Gaby recommended instead, I think, was that we take a
"snapshot" of the state of the working directories as a given
point in time - say once per week - and then only commit these
snapshots to the Google repository. That way the source code
on Google code will be reasonably up to date but it will not
contain all the history from SourceForge.
Doing this would require a completely different kind of script
to be run say as a cron job at axiom-developer.org. The old
script used 'tailor' which tries to keep the entire history in
place and I guess we don't want that any more.
If this is agreeable to everyone I would be very happy to help
you to setup a script. Maybe we could use SVK to checkout
the sources to a working copy of the Google repository. SVK
only copies the source files and not the svn admin files. Then
we can run a commit to update Google with this "snapshot"
of the sources. Does that make sense to you?