[Axiom-developer] RE: [#358 Variable is apparently always assumed to be

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: [#358 Variable is apparently always assumed to be positive?] Functions and Segments
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:50:12 -0400

William,

Thanks for adding your comments to the wiki. I have
re-arranged this a little by separating the comments about
segment from those about functions so that now your
comments about segments appears here:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxFloatSegment

On June 7, 2007 9:21 PM William Sit wrote:

> I am overwhelmed by the amount of Axiom emails and most
> I  could not follow. I don't even have the guts to try
> compiling the newest versions. To me, it is very
> confusing, but it does seem that Axiom is in excellent
> hands.

Jump in any time, your contributions are like a "breath
of fresh air" ;-)

Perhaps the multiple versions are a bit confusing but so
far there seems to be a reasonable amount of co-operation
so I think things are proceeding very much as one would
expect/hope in open source development.

> I'm looking forward to your comments on Segment. It
> just feels strange that the implementation is so
> "uncategorical".

I added a slightly changed version of Segment to this
page:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxFloatSegment

All I did was require that Segment be defined over
a Ring and then re-iterpreted BY as specifying the
separation of elements of the segment.

This seems more "categorical" to me given what I
expect to be the normal use-case although it is in
some ways more restrictive than the original as you
pointed out in your email. Can you imagine an actual
application where it is interesting to define a
segment over something that is not a Ring?