[Axiom-developer] Version numbers

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Version numbers
Date: 23 Jun 2007 09:16:23 +0200

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

> > I guess it's time I planned on creating an 'axiom-0.2' binary install
> > file...
>
> I am a bit confused about the version number. NAG released 2.3. Didn't we once
> say that the current gold version is Axiom 3.0? What versioning scheme does
> OpenAxiom now actually have? Does somebody know? Where is this written down?

Since Axiom is and very likely will be for a long time rapidly evolving, I
suggest to use yymm versioning.  I was hoping that trunk would become usable
(i.e., very close to wh-sandbox) soon, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Gold is currently completely uninteresting for me and my math colleagues: no
working HyperDoc, many important algebra fixes are missing, etc., etc.

I have the feeling that "trunk" and "branches" is somewhat unfitting for the
Axiom project.  Currently, wh-sandbox seems most useable to me.

(Waldek: the only remaining thing on my wishlist is to have out of the box
aldor support)

Martin