Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom version numbering

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom version numbering
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 05:09:44 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Martin Rubey wrote:

[...]

| > exact version in yyyymmdd format. CHANGELOG is a stack. Thus:
| >
| > 20070617 tpd src/interp/inpter-proclaims remove unused arg from $FCOPY
|
| Only, the CHANGELOG is not installed.  Since I often say svn up, to see what
| happened recently, but sometimes decide not to build a new axiom, I do not
know
| anymore what exact version of axiom I am using.
|
| People installing a binary of axiom from MathAction or via debian  have even
| less possibility to tell us what version they are using.

I fully agree.  It does not make sense to me to say that people can
look at the top of ChangeLog.  What would be your reaction if I said that
the Axiom sources code should not be documented because its implementation
has a far more precise information about what it actually does?

| So, maybe we could use
|
| YY.MM.branch.revision-number

That makes sense to me.