Re: [Axiom-developer] A modest proposal

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] A modest proposal
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:48:39 +0200 (CEST)

> Oh, really? So it "just works" as in:
> <http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/366Gcl267CrashesBuildingWhSandbox/diff>
> from today's mailbox. wh-sandbox crashes in build. We're not talking about
> "just works" here.

Tim, have you tried Gentoo?  You will probably (I write probably
because two Gentoo systems may be quite different) notice that
Gentoo gcl crashes on simple Lisp code that normally gcl handles
without problem.  My conclusion is that Gentoo gcl is broken.

The problem vanishes if one uses self-build gcl-2.6.8-pre.  This
of course risks restarting discussion about using tools provided
with distribution versus our own tools.  At least my experience
was that gcl-2.6.6 simply does not work for Axiom, but it is
still common in older installations.  I have mixed experience
using gcl-2.6.7, on a few machines self-build gcl-2.6.7 works
just fine, but on some other I noticed problems.  If I were
making a release tarball now I would probably include gcl-2.6.8-pre
inside and made it a default.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden