Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom meeting at ISSAC

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom meeting at ISSAC
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 21:41:05 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Bill Page wrote:

| > It accepts one AST, not two.
|
| Do you mean that only one of the two existing parsers can be used with SPAD?

Both parsers are used.  The new parser is used by the interpreter, and the pld
parser is used by the old compiler.  It is also possible to have the new
parser used to compile algebras -- but you would a few function to
make the connection.  The long term view is to use the new parser
everywhere.

(It would be interesting to know why the new compiler was disconnected when
Axiom was made open source).

| > That AST does not contain line/column information.  The AST which
| > Axiom uses does not contain line/column information.
|
| Is there a good reason why it does not use the 2nd parser?

Nobody has done the connection.

When Jacob originally did the AD project, he used the old AST.  Then, I
rewrote the connection to the front-end so that it uses the new parser.
So we end up with interface to both the interpreter and compiler.

[...]

| I hope this is a sufficiently technical issue that it is possible to
| reach an agreement. Is it possible now to use "the compiler components
| in the form of a library which can be used by other aspects Axiom"?

Not only, it is possible, but it has been done.

| If the answer is yes, then some documentation on how to do this would
| be much more useful than having to refer to the source code.

I fully agree.