Re: [Axiom-developer] A curious algebra failure

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] A curious algebra failure
Date: 11 Aug 2007 20:54:17 -0400

Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:
> Your suggestion is correct, but the build still fails at the same
> point.  Looking at the call to expt(x,n) in the Spad code  I don't
> immediatelt see why it should be well-formed.  Do you see why it is
> OK?

Given:

   "**": (%,PositiveInteger) -> %

and

   x:% ** n:PositiveInteger == expt(x,n)

we need

   expt: (%, PositiveInteger) -> %

But that is exactly what we get as export when saying:

    `import RepeatedSquaring(%)'

Here, % certainly satisfies the conditions on the parameter type:

   SetCategory with "*": (%,%)->%

Myself, I do not see how this could not be well-formed.  What do you
see wrong with the expression?

Steve