[Axiom-developer] Re: Gold numbering scheme

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Gold numbering scheme
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:06:39 -0700 (PDT)

--- address@hidden wrote:

> Cliff,
>
> We're not in the advertising business. We're doing long term science.

OK, fair enough.

> It makes no difference if there are "major" improvements from version
> 10.1 to 10.2. Every version features improvements.

Well, it will certainly avoid arguments about what is "worth" a major
version number increase.

> It's a number. It has no meaning except what we give it.

Ideally yes.  We will probably find that conventions used in other
projects will breed assumptions about what our numbering indicates, but
an issue so minor merits no contention.  If you prefer this scheme it's
OK with me.

> The meaning of Axiom's version number is year/month/patch of source
> release. 2007 September's Gold would be axiom-7.9.0

OK.  Considering Emacs is at version 22, 10.12.0 doesn't bother me.

Cheers,
CY

that gives answers, not web links.