content mathml was Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: AMS Notices: Open Source Ma

From: Arthur Ralfs
Subject: content mathml was Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: AMS Notices: Open Source Mathematical Software
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:55:50 -0800

root wrote:
> You let the enemy use your own strength against you. The Axiom front
> end is the same as the Axiom back end. It's all "of a piece" so that
> viewing the documentation and the code are all a single thing. When
> you read the documentation like a book (ala Knuth or Queinnec) you
> learn the whole system. The 3Ms cannot do this. And Axiom equations
> need to carry the type because that's where the meaning is. Thus
> mathml isn't a reasonable transfer mechanism and cannot be trojaned.

Tim,

I found your Sun Tsu analysis interesting.  I have been thinking that
I would eventually write a content mathml package for Axiom partly
because of discussions I've seen here.  However I have also wondered
"why bother, i.e. why not just let Axiom handle the semantics?"  Now
you've added a new (for me) slant.  Do you think content mathml would
amount to a Trojan horse?

Arthur