Re: a meta name for axiom, open.axiom, fricas. was: Re: [Axiom-developer

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Subject: Re: a meta name for axiom, open.axiom, fricas. was: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [#55] Axiom doesn't run on Windows
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:56:06 -0800

root wrote:
Maintaining this confusion doesn't help the users. Imagine a new CAS
user who decides to download several projects like pari, maxima, Axiom, Fricas, and OpenAxiom. He decides to install them all and play
with them. The end result will be 3 directories of code, only one of
which can be used because Fricas and OpenAxiom step on Axiom and each
other. It is clearly "the wrong thing". And there is a trivial fix.

Or imagine an *experienced* CAS user, such as myself. I have Pari and Maxima, though I've never really touched Pari. I have Yacas because there's an R library that talks to it. And I have Axiom because I discovered an old version of it a number of years ago on a Knoppix remaster by Dirk Eddelbuettel called "Quantian". There is no confusion on my machines simply because I don't need either FriCAS or OpenAxiom -- and I haven't installed them -- and I don't intend to.