[Axiom-developer] Re: fact finding.

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: fact finding.
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:25:03 -0500

On 12/21/07, Tim Daly wrote:
> It appears that you believe that your average user should be
> able to do:
>
>    svn co open-axiom/trunk oaxiom
>    cd oaxiom
>    ./configure
>    make
>    make install
>
> So, in order to see what the DEFAULT behavior actually is,
> I did that. Unfortunately it appears that OpenAxiom will not
> build on axiom-developer.org
> I have to report the error message:
>
> ./configure
> bash: ./configure: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
>
> when I attempted the build on axiom-developer.org running:
>
>    Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
>
> which is a quad processor machine Intel box.
>
> Linux axiom-developer.org 2.6.17.13-RH211rc35 #12
> SMP Mon Oct 2 22:00:49 CDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> I do not know what the problem is because
>
> address@hidden oaxiom]$ sh
> sh-2.05b$
>
> works fine. The first line of configure says:
> #! /bin/sh

I works for me on axiom-developer.org. See /home/page/oaxiom/config.log

address@hidden oaxiom]$ svn co
https://svn.open-axiom.org/svnroot/open-axiom/trunk oaxiom
address@hidden oaxiom]$ cd oaxiom
address@hidden oaxiom]$ ./configure
address@hidden oaxiom]$ more config.log
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

It was created by OpenAxiom configure 1.1.0-2007-12-19, which was
generated by GNU Autoconf 2.60.  Invocation command line was

  $ ./configure

## --------- ##
## Platform. ##
## --------- ##

hostname = axiom-developer.org
uname -m = i686
uname -r = 2.6.17.13-RH211rc35
uname -s = Linux
uname -v = #12 SMP Mon Oct 2 22:00:49 CDT 2006

/usr/bin/uname -p = unknown
/bin/uname -X     = unknown

/bin/arch              = i686

No error messages. Perhaps you have something odd in your .bashrc or .profile?

> Since Open-Axiom won't build I'm left with reading the sources.
> Further investigation reveals (from Makefile.pamphlet):
>
> install:
>         @echo Installing OpenAxiom in $(prefix)
>         @$(mkinstalldirs) $(DESTDIR)$(open_axiom_installdir)
>         cp -pr $(builddir)/$(target)/* $(DESTDIR)$(open_axiom_installdir)
>         rm -f $(bindir)/axiom
>         @$(mkinstalldirs) $(bindir)
>         $(INSTALL_PROGRAM) src/scripts/axiom $(bindir)
>         @echo OpenAxiom installation finished.
>

> and the src/scripts/axiom.in file contains
>
> showuse() {
> echo "axiom"
> echo "     [-ht   |-noht]       whether to use HyperDoc"
>
> Thus it appears to me that the DEFAULT behavior will install
> Open-Axiom using the command /usr/local/axiom
>
> Once I can build a new virtual machine I'll try to build OpenAxiom
> and verify that this is the case.

address@hidden oaxiom]$ ./configure --help

Says:
By default, `make install' will install all the files in
`/usr/local/bin', `/usr/local/lib' etc.  You can specify
an installation prefix other than `/usr/local' using `--prefix',
for instance `--prefix=$HOME'.