Re: [Axiom-developer] 20081202.02.tpd.patch (website download.html add D

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] 20081202.02.tpd.patch (website download.html add Doyen Thumbdrive)
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 16:28:28 -0500

Dear Tim and Alfredo:

Okay, after some experimentation, I finally was able to save changes to Doyen on the USB drive. Probably, it can easily be saved on the hard disk as well.

The trick is to run from the USB drive (after it has booted into Doyen) /boot/isolinux/liloinst.sh after the initial change of the MBR (master boot sector) to make the USB drive bootable. liloinst.sh can be applied to a partition (not the whole drive according to documentation) and so the USB drive should be partitioned first. What liloinst.sh does is to include the directory slaxchanges where normally it is resident in RAM.

Warning: one should be careful about the device name of the USB drive, as it depends on how many hard drives you have on the system. All drives are named as sda, sdb, etc., with the USB being the last. In my case, it is sdb1 since I have only one hard drive on the laptop.

I was able to install Fricas and reboot with this saved in slaxchanges.

I have also experimented with DSL (damn small linux), but the version I used (dsl-4.4.10.iso) somehow do not recognize the networks nor the hard-drives. But that is probably by design. I think it is trying to get the drivers from the Windows system, but that becomes a catch-22 situation. However, it is quite robust, unlike Doyen, which crashes sometimes on shutdown.

William