Re: [Fwd: Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom on Slackware]

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom on Slackware]
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 22:02:09 -0400

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 09:03:47PM -0400, root wrote:
> This is new behavior and clearly a bug.
> I've added it to the bug list as bug 7191.

Looks like it has been an issue before.  See the short thread starting at:

 http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2007-10/msg00010.html

A brief read of the GCL docs concerning si:*lib-directory* and
si:*system-directory* indicate to me that one course of action would be to set
si:*system-directory* to the value of $AXIOM/bin at runtime, instead of at build
time as currently done in interp/Makefile.pamphlet in the savesys stanza:

   @ echo '#+:akcl (setq si::*system-directory* "${SPAD}/bin/")' \
               >> ${OUT}/makeint.lisp

For example, the following works:

  (1) -> )fin
  BOOT>(defun foo ())

  FOO

  BOOT>(setq si::*system-directory*
             (concatenate 'string (getenv "AXIOM") "/bin"))

  "/home/steve/tmp/axiom/mnt/slackware/bin"

  BOOT>(compile 'foo)

  #<compiled-function FOO>

Perhaps extending boot::restart with logic similar to the above is a reasonable
path forward?

Take care,
Steve