Re: [Axiom-developer] Intell SCC chip, Clojure, and Provisos

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Intell SCC chip, Clojure, and Provisos
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 19:10:59 -0800

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Tim Daly <address@hidden> wrote:
> Rich,
>
> I've been looking at the newly-announced Intel SCC chip.
> It looks like 48 processors with local cache connected
> by 24 routers.
>
> It seems feasible to me to put a Clojure on each node
> and have them share a heap image. The cache is likely
> large enough to contain the kernel of the clojure code
> (they plan to run 48 linux images).
>
> One question that I'd have is whether there is a way to
> present a single-image REPL that can use this chip. I'd
> like to experiment with parallel symbolic computing in
> Axiom and the combination of Clojure and the SCC seems ideal.
>
> Can multiple Clojures share a heap?
>
> I'd like to be able to dynamically fork tasks to different
> lisp images that worked on the same heap. For example, I'd
> like to be able to compute f(x) in two ways with different
> assumptions as in:
>  f(x) x>0
>  f(x) x<=0
> and the combine the result into a single solution. Computing
> under assumptions (provisos) is an ideal mechanism for doing
> parallel symbolic computations.
>
> Tim Daly

Hmmm ... interesting concept. How small an OS can you get away with
and still have the JVM on each node? Surely you don't need a whole
GNU/Linux stack. Perhaps something like the openSUSE JeOS (Just Enough
Operation System)? Which JVM would you be using? Are the parallel /
concurrent hooks in the JVM?

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://borasky-research.net

"I've always regarded nature as the clothing of God." ~Alan Hovhaness