[Axiom-developer] PanAxiom or separate project pages?

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [Axiom-developer] PanAxiom or separate project pages?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 16:24:05 +0200

Hi Alfredo,

I am also looking forward to these pages being up again, or just have
the text content somewhere.

Well, I was trying to put them up, but the computer that I have available for this virtual machine does not allow me to run 64bit VMs, because the processor is not powerful enough. In other words, I currently have no machine.

Anyway, I (of course) also want to see the information back online. However, the axiom wiki runs on a very old ubuntu and the Plone installation is also very old. I'm not very eager to leave it that way, But upgrading might not even work.

In fact, I'm currently thinking about two things.

1) Put the static stuff to github and manage the pages via sphinx http://sphinx.pocoo.org/ .

2) Make the IPython notebook understand %%fricas as a cell magic and provide a server that enables people to run some code.

-----

1) would probably be a task to go though all the pages and move them into restructured text. Not the easiest task, but certainly doable. We would be using "git push" to update the website on github. We wouldn't have any need to provide a server ourselves and the pages would be versioned. Of course, that wouldn't be a wiki, but I don't see much of an advantage in a wiki.

2) Involves understanding the IPython magic. I'm not at all very knowledgable in Python, but to me it looks as if it shouldn't be too hard to get something like Bill Page did for the sage notebook and Martin Rubey did with efricas inside the IPython notebook.

Would you be able to help with (2)?

Anybody else any ideas?

Ralf