Re: [Axiom-developer] compiling in Axiom

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] compiling in Axiom
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 15:59:35 +0200

> So I started the interpreter and typed
>     )co filename.as
> and got an error message saying
> "Only AXIOM source files with file extensions .as, .ao, .al, or .spad
>       can be compiled."

> Can you tell me what I am doing wrong and what would need to be done to
> get on old  *.as  file to compile in the modern AXIOM ?

>From all the panaxiom flavours (to my knowledge) currently only FriCAS
allows the connection to Aldor, i.e. compilation of .as files and use of
the result inside FriCAS.

For that, you would have to compile libaxiom.al locally on your
computer, it's not in the distribution. But also for FriCAS it is
currently in a "transition state" (I would say). My fricas-aldor-local
branch (https://github.com/hemmecke/fricas/commits/fricas-aldor-local)
should work together with the latest aldor
(https://github.com/pippijn/aldor), but I didn't have time to really
check everything and integrate it back into FriCAS mainline. Aldor is
currently getting a lot of patches and it's a bit hard to keep track.

Anyway, it's not possible to use the aldor compiler and produce stand
alone programs that use the Axiom library.

Ralf