[Axiom-developer] Boot syntax

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Boot syntax
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 22:11:31 -0500

Steele and Gabriel [0], among the many "fathers" of Common Lisp, make
the following observation

  "On the other hand, precisely because Lisp makes it easy to play
   with program representations, it is always easy for the novice
   to experiment with alternative notations. Therefore we expect
   future generations of Lisp programmers to continue to reinvent
   Algol-style syntax for Lisp, over and over and over again, and
   we are equally confident that they will continue, after an initial
   period of infatuation, to reject it. (Perhaps this process should
   be regarded as a rite of passage for Lisp hackers.)"

Boot was created in the 1970s during the early, novice lisp work.
After 30+ years of Common Lisp, Axiom is no longer in the "novice"
category.

[0] Steele, Guy L.; Gabriel, Richard P.
    "The Evolution of Lisp"
    http://www.dreamsongs.com/Files/HOPL2-Uncut.pdf p85