Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom, Ubuntu and texlive

From: Michel Lavaud
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom, Ubuntu and texlive
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 09:11:32 +0200

Le 04/06/2014 18:31, u1204 a écrit :
I believe I've solved the dvipdfm problem.
For what reason is dvipdfm in the code anyway?

Sounds like Axiom uses tex->dvi->pdf instead of directly going with
pdflatex: .tex -> .pdf. Or am I missing something?
History, actually. At one point Axiom was going to use an open
source dvi viewer as part of the hyperdoc interface. Thus all
pamphlets were translated to a dvi final format.
And rigor, I suppose? pdf format is not frozen, pdf viewers are not bug-free. Remember an RMLL conference in Metz where the pdf file of a colleague didn't display some text of the file. dvi format is very simple and frozen, dvi viewers exist and can be supposed bug-free for these reason. Same old recurrent debate of "new" vs "old", it seems (use new xml instead of old latex, use new pdf instead of old dvi, use new python instead of old lisp, etc.) ?

The later transition from standalone pamphlets to book format
introduced PDF files and dvipdfm.

Tim