Re: [Axiom-developer] CAD package from Renaud Rioboo

From: daly
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] CAD package from Renaud Rioboo
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 02:03:09 -0500

>On 09/08/2014 05:36 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>> Waldek,
>>
>> Here is Renaud's CAD package for your new release.

Thank Renaud. He wrote it.

See Renaud's Ph.D. thesis (I don't have a link for this)

Brown, Christopher W
"Solution Formula Construction for Truth Invariant CADs"
Ph.D. Thesis, Univ. Delaware (1999)
http://www.usna.edu/Users/cs/wcbrown/research/thesis.ps.gz

Brown, Christopher W.
"QEPCAD B -- A program for computing with semi-algebraic sets using CADs"

>> Tim
>
>Thank you, Tim. Now you can no longer claim that you don't care for
>FriCAS. ;-)

Ralf,

I have had only two lasting frustrations with FriCAS.

My first frustration was the confusion over names.  This seems to be
mostly resolved (modulo still using the AXIOM shell variable, which
causes conflicts).

My second frustration is the lack of documentation.  But that is a
fundamental philosophical difference and I don't see it ever getting
resolved. But then I'm something of a fanatic about it so maybe it's
my problem. :-)

Other than that, I'm all in favor of more and better algebra available
to everyone. Axiom isn't "mine" in any reasonable sense of the word. I
am just the guy leading the parade this week. So it seems only reasonable
to make sure the algebra is spread to FriCAS.

Renaud's CAD package is clean, easy to install, and should be widely
available, which is why I sent it. I would ask that any improvements
be returned in kind.

Tim