Re: [Axiom-developer] cl-typesetting

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] cl-typesetting
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 05:12:05 -0700

> On Monday, September 15, 2014 1:57 AM, "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> > cl-typesetting is cool. I like what he's doing.
>
> I don't think it can replace latex if only for the simple
> reason that every time I need to do something there are
> thousands of web pages of help and hundreds of packages.

Heh.  My thinking/hope there was that if the TeX "core" algorithms could be
reproduced on top of cl-typesetting, past a certain point the LaTeX packages
would start to work "as-is" on top of the new core the same way they currently
work with TeX/TeXlive.  I don't know enough to know if that's how things would
shake out - it needs investigation, one of the things I was hoping to learn in
the ModTeX effort, actually - but the other side of that coin is that any one
application (like, say Axiom) is only going to use a subset of the universe of
TeX packages.  TeXlive in lisp isn't necessary per say...

CY