[Axiom-developer] Axiom courses online

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Axiom courses online
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 05:29:17 -0600

Hasty generalization is my favorite form of reasoning.

Axiom now has the beginning attempt at developing tutorial videos so a
new developer can see how things are done. They aim to emulate Khan
academy videos.

At the moment, and for the near future, these are a set of videos on
random topics covering everyday use such as adding algebra or building
unit test cases. These are recorded screen captures but I have the
tools to edit full videos so it would be possible to include
whiteboard standup lectures (sadly I'm a bit too ugly for video).

The long term view suggests developing online courses complete with a
syllabus, videos, readings, and guest lectures.  At least three
courses suggest themselves. We need a course for the user, one for the
algebra developer, and one for the general developer.

The user course would address topics such as installing Axiom,
starting the system, how to get help (hyperdoc, the command line, the
mailing list), how to find algebra and examples, etc.

The algebra developer course would address topics such as an overview
of the existing algebra, developing new algebra, and deep-dives into
particular topics through guest lectures by the people who developed
the algebra.

The general developer course would cover topics such as how to get
sources, how to build on various platforms, submitting changes, adding
new code, source code management, writing literate programs, a
detailed overview of the interpreter, compiler, hyperdoc, graphics,
and the new browser.

Each of these courses needs a syllabus which will appear in a
first-draft form on the video page in the near future. Feel free
to propose revisions.

Suggestions? Comments?

It is a good thing that Axiom has a 30 Year Horizon. :-)

Tim