axiom-mail

Re: [Axiom-mail] Type of Expression Problem

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Type of Expression Problem
Date: 13 Nov 2005 14:42:39 +0100

Hans Peter Würmli <address@hidden> writes:

> but how then would you assert that something is in a Domain? I tried
>
> typeOf(3)=Integer
>
> but such a simple solution doesn't work.

You got a quite tricky question there, really. If you are doing something else
then trying to understand how axiom is doing things, it's very likely that you
are on the wrong track. What are you trying to accomplish?

As far as I know, typeOf is only defined in the Interpreter. The domain ANY
provides a function domainOf which returns an element of OutputForm.

You can sometimes test whether something is "retractable" to a given domain
using "retractIfCan"...

Martin