axiom-mail

Re: [Axiom-mail] Newbie Questions

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Newbie Questions
Date: 29 Apr 2006 21:51:40 +0200

Dear Lonnie,

Lonnie Cumberland <address@hidden> writes:

> I was trying to do some simple calculation looking for the floor, and integer
> of the sqrt of a number but could not seem to get this to work and could not
> locate these in any documentation.

Do you have hyperdoc? there you can simply enter floor or sqrt and you will get
what you want.

Otherwise, issue (at the command prompt)

(1) -> )di op floor

There are 2 exposed functions called floor :
   [1] D -> D1 from D
            if D has QFCAT D1 and D1 has INTDOM and D1 has INS
   [2] D -> D from D if D has RNS

This means: there is a function floor from something which is a Quotientfield
of an IntegralDomain into this IntegralDomain (and this IntegralDomain has to
be an IntegerNumberSystem, too), and

there is a function floor from a RealNumberSystem into the same
RealNumberSystem.

Maybe you could make your question more precise.

> This project has very good potential I think but seems to have a long way to
> go
> in order to be on the level of Mathematica.

Well, there are things you definitely cannot do in Mathematica, but that are
easily achieved in Axiom. These two systems are simply *different* and have
quite different focus.

Martin