axiom-mail

Re: [Axiom-mail] Output/print without linefeed?

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Output/print without linefeed?
Date: 09 Jul 2007 21:15:59 -0400

Hello Alasdair,

"Alasdair McAndrew" <address@hidden> writes:

> I was running a long program recently, and every now and again I wanted a
> little output to indicate how far the program had got.  The "output" command
> includes a line feed, which I don't want.  I've tried:
>
>  )set expose add constructor IPRNTPK
>
> but then, for example:
>
> for i in 1..10 repeat iprint(i::String)
>
> produces the output:
>
> 1
>    >> System error:
>    FLUSH is invalid as a function.

I cannot reproduce exactly this error.  What version of Axiom is this?

However I did find a problem with an easy fix which allows the above
code to run for me:

   steve:axiom> AXIOMsys
                           AXIOM Computer Algebra System
                             Version: Axiom (May 2007)
                    Timestamp: Monday July 9, 2007 at 21:01:45
      Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
      Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
      Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.

      Re-reading compress.daase   Re-reading interp.daase
      Re-reading operation.daase
      Re-reading category.daase
      Re-reading browse.daase
   (1) -> )set expose add constructor IPRNTPK
      InternalPrintPackage is now explicitly exposed in frame initial
   (1) -> for i in 1..10 repeat iprint(i::String)

/home/steve/development/axiom/build-canonical/mnt/linux/algebra/IPRNTPK.o
         for package InternalPrintPackage
   12345678910
 Type: Void

Will followup with a patch to the axiom-developer mailing list shortly.

Thanks!

Steve