axiom-mail

[Axiom-mail] Re: InputForm

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-mail] Re: InputForm
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 16:20:05 +0200

Bill Page <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 8:35 AM, Martin Rubey wrote:

>> This is, in my opinion a hack, in case you want linear *output*.  It
>> should be relatively easy though, to provide something similar to
>> TexFormat, that provides a coercion from outputform to "linearform".
>> Would actually be nice.
>>

> Martin,
>
> Do you mean something like?
>
>   )set output linear on

Well, it may be nice to have a switch in the interpreter as this
suggests, but that's not my primary concern.  My primary concern is to
have well defined and document coercions from OutputForm to whatever,
i.e., LaTeX, possibly TeX, html, text, linear text, etc.

> Note also that
>
>   y^2+x
>
> is not syntactically identical to the input
>
>   x+y^2
>
> I wonder why FriCAS changes the order?

Because the semantics is the same.  Currently, + is always commutative I
think, but compare:

(18) -> a:XPOLY INT := y*x

   (18)  y x 1
                                    Type: XPolynomial(Integer)
(19) -> b:POLY INT := x*y

   (19)  x y
                                    Type: Polynomial(Integer)

well, embarassingly enough, there is no INFORM for XPOLY :-(

Martin