axiom-mail

Re: [fricas-devel] Re: [Axiom-mail] InputForm

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [fricas-devel] Re: [Axiom-mail] InputForm
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 21:17:53 -0400

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> I would reserve the use of InputForm for syntatic canonical
> forms of mathematical objects.

Currently InputForm values can arise both from parsing of input
strings and from coercion of values from other domains. Only the
latter are in some sense "cononical". But even these are only
cononical to the degree that the domain from which they are derived
has such properties.  So it is not clear to me how one can hope to
reserve InputForm for only this use.

Regards,
Bill Page.