axiom-mail

Re: [Axiom-mail] "System error: caught fatal error" with both FORTRAN an

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] "System error: caught fatal error" with both FORTRAN and TeX output
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:33:41 -0400

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Dan Hatton wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> The following input file causes Axiom to produce the "System error:
> Caught fatal error [memory may be damaged]" message.  If it's the
> first part of a longer input file, )read then fails to execute the
> remainder of the input file.  The error appears to be related to the
> attempt to produce both TeX and FORTRAN output - getting rid of either
> makes the error message go away.

I tried to reproduce this but only getting rid of the FORTRAN output
made the error go away. Eliminating TEX output did not seem to have
any effect.

>  Any ideas what's going on, please?

I think the problem might be that the FORTRAN output does not like to
deal with very long equations. Maybe it is a buffer problem or some
bug in the code that handles equations. (How should something of type
Equation be rendered in FORTRAN anyway?)

It works if I only generate FORTRAN code for the left hand side. E.g.

differentialequation := A1*differentiate(D2,x) +
B1*differentiate(D2,y) + C1*differentiate(D2,z) +
A2*differentiate(D1,x) + B2*differentiate(D1,y) +
C2*differentiate(D1,z) - C3 -  differentiate(D3,x,2) -
differentiate(D3,y,2) - differentiate(D3,z,2) = 0;
lhs(differentialequation)

Regards,
Bill Page.