baby-devel

[baby-devel] compile problems with 14.1

From: Martin Traverse
Subject: [baby-devel] compile problems with 14.1
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 17:53:22 +0100

Hi,

I've just installed babychess-14.1, but I had to hack the code to make it
compile, so I thought I'd let you know about the problems.

I'm using gcc 3.3.2 on a gentoo platform. The problem was in the
Evaluator_Widget::Wdg_Cose() function where you use the scope resolution
operator to access the base classes of the Evaluator class, IO_Child_Process
and Timer. Looking at the code I found that IO_Child_Process and Timer are
*private* base classes of Evaluator! Public members of a privately inherited
class become private in the child class and hence inaccessible to any of its
descendants. I added the functions:

bool timerIs() { return Timer::Is(); }
void timerStop() { Timer::Stop(); }

to the evaluator class to access these base classes, and replaced the
appropriate calls in Evaluator_Widget::Wdg_Close with calls to these
functions:

IO_Child_Process::Is() with !Evaluator::Terminated()
Timer::Is() with Evaluator::timerIs()
Timer::Stop() with Evaluator::timerStop()

I guess earlier versions of gcc might have been less strict on this, which is
why the problem only showed up now. I certainly remember installing 14.1
without issue last time I did it, which was using gcc 3.2, I think.

As a more general point: I know you offer a GUI along with baby chess, but it
would be really useful if the GUI and the engine were separate make targets
or even separate packages. I use KDE, not Gnome, and as such I'd need to
install all of libgnomeui to get version 15 to compile cleanly. I've actually
chosen to just make do with version 14.1 for that very reason. I suspect a
lot of people would be quite happy just to install the engine and not have to
worry about the GUI dependencies.

Anyway, keep up the good work - I have very much enjoyed playing against
babychess :-)

Martin.