bayonne-devel

[Bayonne-devel] FOX use in Bayonne 2

From: David Sugar
Subject: [Bayonne-devel] FOX use in Bayonne 2
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 09:01:09 -0400

Recently I had been experimenting with FOX for the gui elements of the soundcard/simulation/testing driver in GNU Bayonne 2 and I have been quite happy with the results so far. Now that it is nessisary to do another distribution of the CAPE installer for those coding GNU Telephony work on w32 targets, I am thinking of including FOX along with GNU Common C++, ccAudio 2, etc, in the CAPE installer so that fox release and debug dll's are immediately available in the GNU Telephony install/debug paths as well. This will become more important as new versions of tools like baysight are introduced later this year.

For those doing GNU Telephony work on GNU/Linux, I have noticed FOX packages are present in Debian (and Ubuntu), but these only seem to package the 1.0.x releases. I would suggest downloading the current (new) stable (1.4.x) releases, which is what I have been working with. The fox toolkit also works reasonably well on OS/X under "X", though a native port would be nice.

One of the reasons why I have been using fox as a cross-platform gui rather than wx in my packages is that the library footprint tends to be much smaller, response is closer to realtime which particularly makes it viable for Bayonne server embedded gui work, and it seems to me easier to code for. It's also a pure C++ coded toolkit which does not require odd compiler "extensions" (like QT moc) and has a much simpler resource-free model for adding things like icons. And of course its always been available under the L-GPL on all it's supported platforms, so I had used it early on rather than qt.