bbdb-user

bbdb fails with rmail on emacs 25 due to depreciated function rmail-narr

From: sokolgeo
Subject: bbdb fails with rmail on emacs 25 due to depreciated function rmail-narrow-to-non-pruned-header
Date: Wed, 02 May 2018 18:35:36 +0200

Hello!

I use bbdb-3.2 from ELPA on GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-cygwin).

I try to make bbdb to create new entries from incoming e-mails in rmail.

But when I add to my .emacs (bbdb-mua-auto-update-init 'rmail)
and receive new message into rmail, the bbdb fails:

bbdb/rmail-header: Symbol’s function definition is void: rmail-narrow-to-non-pruned-header

This is apparently happening in line 38 in bbdb-3.2\bbdb-rmail.el:

      (with-no-warnings (rmail-narrow-to-non-pruned-header))

I believe this is related to bug https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=556993 I.e. GNU Emacs version 23 and above does not provide funciton rmail-narrow-to-non-pruned-header

For example in Elpa org-mode 9.1.11, file org-rmail.el there is a extra check before calling rmail-narrow-to-non-pruned-header:

(when (fboundp 'rmail-narrow-to-non-pruned-header)
          (rmail-narrow-to-non-pruned-header))

Overall bbdb works just fine for me, I can create and edit records manually, automatic creation of new records also works fine by putting into .emacs (bbdb-mua-auto-update-init 'message)

Could you please have a look into the above problem and help? What should be called in place of rmail-narrow-to-non-pruned-header for Emacs 25 ?

Thank you!
George