beaver-devel

[Beaver-devel] Fixed strings inside extended regular expressions

From: Michael Terry
Subject: [Beaver-devel] Fixed strings inside extended regular expressions
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 22:09:14 -0400

Hello.  I am working again on Beaver after a long break.  :)

For searching, I would like to construct a regular expression from the user's input string. However, I sometimes want to treat the input string as a fixed string (that is, match '*' with only the character '*' and such), but want to surround this fixed string with regular expression syntax.

For example, let's say I have the string "o.*g". I want to prefix and postfix this with some regular expression, let's say to make it "^(o.*g)$". But, I want the middle part to only match the character sequence "o.*g", not an 'o' followed by a 'g' sometime later.

Anyone know how to do this? (As a brute force strategy, I could surround each letter in the user string with '[' and ']', but that seems ugly, especially since I'd have to be careful with characters like '^'.)

-mt