bibledit-general

[be] Re: USFM to OSIS question

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: [be] Re: USFM to OSIS question
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 06:18:34 +0200

Hi Phil,

> I want to ask about the OSIS converter, which you have rewritten. I
> wrote to you before about the need to make Cross References and all
> footnotes to be non-printing, in order to send the text to be
> formatted for publishing trial versions in the Java Go Bible format
> for cell phones. I have modified my files so that footnotes start *\f
> + ... This makes it so that when the footnotes are not printed, a *
> occurs in the text. This works if I print the text using the print
> dialog. But the print dialog evidently doesn't go through the OSIS
> converter. When I export the text to Openoffice format, it does go
> through the OSIS converter, but all the footnotes and cross references
> still appear.

I do remember about the need to not print the footnotes, but it must
have slipped out of my mind when implementing that new usfm2osis
converter. It you file a bug against that converter, I can then
implement it after some time.

By the way, we also are interested in using the cell phone for carrying
around Bibles. Do you perhaps know of a relatively inexpensive Nokia
cellphone that is capable enough to run the Go Bible?

> Then I seem to remember some requirement that the OSIS file be in
> Chapter/Verse format. Was this something you were going to make
> definable by the user?

Yes, at first I was going to do that. But then it was easier to let the
old USFM to OSIS converter remain in the program. That one uses the
chapter / verse format. If you'd like to have a option so that the new
one also does this, please file a task for that. It can then be done
after all the other tasks have been done. I suppose that with the
current two usfm2osis converters, your needs for the book / chapter /
verse format has been cared for?

> Please let me know if there is an easy way to produce an OSIS file
> without footnotes and cross references.

Not that I know of right now, sorry, but after the bug that you perhaps
will file will be resolved, then it is possible.

Teus.