bibledit-general

Re: [be] Installing/Updating Bibledit from http://ppa.launchpad.net/pkgc

From: Jonathan Marsden
Subject: Re: [be] Installing/Updating Bibledit from http://ppa.launchpad.net/pkgcrosswire/ppa/ubuntu?
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 17:01:16 -0700

Wolfgang Stradner E wrote:

> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pkgcrosswire/ppa/ubuntu hardy main
> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/pkgcrosswire/ppa/ubuntu hardy main

> As those Bibledit updates would show up in Synaptics, would this be
> an advisable option for BE users to update through this repository?

For now, sure, it works fine.  The new bibledit 3.7-1 packages are
already in Ubuntu Karmic, so for Karmic users there is no need to add
the PPA.  Similarly, they are already in Debian testing, so many Debian
users can simply get them from the official Debian repos.

Once Ubuntu Karmic is officially released, we can also look at putting
bibledit 3.7-1 into hardy-backports, intrepid-backports, and
jaunty-backports, so that users of those older Ubuntu releases can get
bibledit that way.

So: Long term, we'd prefer bibledit users to use the official Ubuntu
repositories rather than our PPA, but for now, sure, people can use it.
 We're happy to get reports of how well (or even how badly!) these
packages work for people :)

If someone creates updated help text pointing people at the PPA, that's
fine with me, I can check it for correctness, if you need that.

BTW, if we're going to do this, I'd suggest similar updated info for
Debian users (pointing them at the Debian testing repos, not at the PPA!).

Jonathan