bibledit-general

Re: [be] Need help installing onto my Mac

From: John Brownie
Subject: Re: [be] Need help installing onto my Mac
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 07:48:48 +1100

Teus Benschop wrote:
Just a wild guess: 1. Would it help to recompile all the ports after DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH from your .profile file was removed? I thought that, if this PATH is gone, perhaps it links with the correct library, the newer one, rather than the wrong one which is older. And yes, perhaps removing the older library, and putting a symbolic link to the newer one might resolve the issue. Hopefully it does not crash something within Mac OS X itself. But you'll keep a copy of this library just in case you need to restore it, I guess. Wishing you much success with this issue. Teus.

Actually, the trouble turned out to be that I had installed MacPorts nearly two years ago and forgotten about it, and the new installation caused problems because of Snow Leopard/Lion differences. Uninstalling and reinstalling MacPorts worked to fix the library issue.

Now I'm able to get to an actual crash in Bibledit, where it is hitting a null pointer in ScreenLayoutDimensions::timeout. Since it has to run under X11, I guess I need to relearn how to debug from the command line. I haven't dealt with a makefile for about twenty years, so it will take a while to get up to speed again.

John