biborb-general

[Biborb-general] Install help: add window empty

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: [Biborb-general] Install help: add window empty
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:59:59 -0500

Greetings:

I installed biborb on a system that uses cgiwrap. There is sometimes some funny business because of that, and so I have to fix programs for our special needs. biborb looks neat enough to be worth the effort.

I'm good at Perl/CGI, but not experienced in PHP

$ /usr/local/bin/php --version
PHP 4.3.9 (cgi) (built: Oct  1 2004 15:54:38)
Copyright (c) 1997-2004 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Zend Technologies

I don't want to type the full url here where robots will find it,
but if you take out the spaces, it will show:

www.ku.edu/ cgiwrap/ pauljohn/ biborb/ index.php

Many of the elements of biborg work great. Thanks a lot. I can add a new bibliography, do searches, but I cannot add entries.

I've experimented with authentication and found that I can log on and I don't think that's related to the problem I have.

I get a blank screen if I try to import a bib file. I get a blank screen when trying to do an add entry, and I link the problem back to the fifth line in the snippit below from php/interface.php.

function bibindex_entry_to_add(){
    $html = bibheader();
    $html .= bibindex_menu($_SESSION['bibdb']->name());

    $title = msg("BIBINDEX_SELECT_NEW_ENTRY_TITLE");
/*following line cause script to return empty */
    $types = xhtml_select('type',1,$_SESSION['bibdb']->entry_types(),"");

If I comment out that line, it doesn't die.

I don't know why the xhtml_select function would fail and make the whole thing go empty. Do you? I've found that if I comment that out, then the function does return some stuff, if I put some content in for $title and $content at the top of the function.

In the install I had to run the pear install in my user account and so at the top of a php file, I have to add

ini_set('include_path', '~/pear/lib' . PATH_SEPARATOR . ini_get('include_path'));

I don't know if that links to the trouble I have, but figure you need to know that.

Oh, one other thing. I do not know how to tell the environment that it should use my pear, from ~/pear, rather than the one it finds in /usr/local/bin. Is that related to the trouble?

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504