bibulus-dev

Re: [Bibulus-dev] Re: Math

From: Thomas M. Widmann
Subject: Re: [Bibulus-dev] Re: Math
Date: 08 Apr 2003 21:02:46 +0100

"Torsten Bronger" <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Thomas M. Widmann) writes:

> >> Yes.  You just have to add it to <formatted> and include the MathML
> >> DTD into your DTD as an external parsed entity.
> >
> > OK.
>
> I can show you how I did it:
>
> <!ENTITY % MathML.dtd PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD MathML 2.0//EN"
>                              "mathml2.dtd">
>  %MathML.dtd;
>
> <!ENTITY % HTMLlat1 PUBLIC "-//W3C//ENTITIES Latin 1//EN//HTML"
>                            "HTMLlat1.ent">
>  %HTMLlat1;
>
> <!ENTITY % HTMLsymbol PUBLIC "-//W3C//ENTITIES Symbols//EN//HTML"
>                              "HTMLsymbol.ent">
>  %HTMLsymbol;
>
> <!ENTITY % HTMLspecial PUBLIC "-//W3C//ENTITIES Special//EN//HTML"
>                               "HTMLspecial.ent">
>  %HTMLspecial;

Look quite easy, actually. :-)

> With this all named HTML entities are included, too.

Which is probably a good thing.  People are used to them.

> Of course, the XML tools must be able to find the MathML DTD.  I had
> problems with this point.  Unless we have a counterpart for SGML's
> Catalog scheme, I put everything into one big file called
> hmml2dst.dtd and included it with
>
> <!ENTITY % MathML-and-HTML-distillated.dtd
>        PUBLIC "-//Torsten Bronger//DTD MathML 2.0 distillated and HTML 4.0
> entities//EN"
>               "hmml2dst.dtd">
>  %MathML-and-HTML-distillated.dtd;
>
> in my DTD.

Doesn't that lead to copyright problems?  What's the license for
the MathML DTD?

> Probably it's wise to switch to something like the following
>
> <!ENTITY % inline "(#PCDATA | b | i | t | math)*">
>
> for all inline content models eventually.  Most DTDs do something
> like this.  Alternatively, you can use the "mml:" namespace for
> math.  It's possibly more secure, but I think it just makes typing
> more difficult.

Indeed, but of course math is probably the exception in
bibliographies.  Something to consider.

> > [...]
> >
> >> For LaTeX (or BibTeX), you have to convert it with e.g. XSLT.  But
> >> this has been done already by numerous people.
> >
> > Has it?  Do you have a reference?  And is any implementation of it
> > released under the GNU license so that we can include it?
>
> I did it for my tbook DTD.  But you have to extract the MathML code,
> I'm afraid.

How difficult would that be, you think?

> The same is true for Casellas' db2latex at
> <http://db2latex.sf.net>.  Gurari tried it, too, but it was not a
> very serious approach, just a test.  However it shows how simple it
> can be basically.  All three variants are very free, I think.

OK.  Which one would you recommend, given that Bibulus is written in
Perl?  I'll try to find some time to read up on all three, but I don't
promise it'll be very soon.

> I regard my approach as the best one because it is the most
> complete.  You need only a subset because only inline math is
> interesting in bibliographies I think.

I agree.  How much code are we talking about to handle inline math,
and is it in XSLT?

> See
>
> @MISC{Gurari2000,
>    title = "{XSLT} from {XHTML}+{MathML} to {\LaTeX}",
>    author = "Eitan M. Gurari",
>    url = "http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~gurari/docs/mml-00/xhm2latex.html";,
>    year = 2000,
>    month = jul,
> }
> @MISC{DB2LaTeX,
>    key = "DB2\LaTeX{}",
>    title = "{DB2\LaTeX{}}",
>    author = "Ramon Casellas",
>    url = "http://db2latex.sourceforge.net";,
>    note = "XSLT Style Sheets für DocBook nach \LaTeX{} Trafo",
>    year = 2002,
>    month = jan,
> }

Will do, will do.

> @MISC{tbook,
>    title = "The {\sffamily \textbf{t}book} system for XML authoring",
>    author = "Torsten Bronger",
>    url = "http://tbookdtd.sourceforge.net";,
>    year = 2003,
>    month = mar,
> }

Very interesting.  I very much like the idea.  Do you recommend we use
tbook for Bibulus documentation?

> (And I'm still looking for a good BibTeX replacement in tbook. ;-))

It certainly would be very easy to make an output module called
Bibulus::tbook which would output the bibliography in tbook XML.

/Thomas
--
\author{Thomas Widmann\thanks{3/2,  54 Mavisbank Gardens,  Glasgow  G51\,1HL,
Scotland, address@hidden Tel.~+44 (141) 419\,9872.}\\{\tt address@hidden