bibulus-dev

Re: [Bibulus-dev] Re: Many authors

From: Thomas M. Widmann
Subject: Re: [Bibulus-dev] Re: Many authors
Date: 09 Apr 2003 20:40:04 +0100

address@hidden (Palle Jørgensen) writes:

> "Torsten Bronger" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Arne Jørgensen <address@hidden> writes:

> >> Another issue with authors.
> >>
> >> Should it be (is it already?) possible to define an author outside the
> >> book/article/whatever and then crossref it?
> >>
> >> If the same author appears in more than one publication it will
> >> probably be convenient to define him/her only once.

I've actually been thinking about the same.  I don't think it's worth
it for "simple" names, but some authors have special forms of their
names in other languages.

For instance Knuth has a Chinese form of his name which should be used
in Chinese publications.  But personally, I'd rather not add the
Chinese form to every title he's written.  It'd be much more
convenient to have something like:

<article id='test'>
  <!-- other fields here -->
</article>

<person id='DEK' xml:lang='en' gender='m' born='1938'>
    <name xml:lang='zh'><!-- Chinese form of name --></name>
    <name xml:lang='ru'><!-- Russian form of name --></name>
    <!-- other languages here -->
</person>

Notice how the expansion of the initials is also handled in a
convenient way here instead of BibTeX's clumsy "D[onald] E[rwin]".

> > This is not a good idea in my opinion.  It makes the file hard to
> > read, it is very uncommon, and you don't win much.

Depends.  It's certainly not worth it just to avoid a nametype every
now and then, but what with authors publishing under many different
names, it could be nice to have a way of building an author database.

> >  And, you can use entities for it.

How much can you put into an entity?

> I agree. Again it must be a question of making a good (editor/emacs)
> mode; i.e. defining the authors in emacs, an calling the names when
> needed.
>
> Perhaps we should extend the scope of the developement of bibulus to
> include an emacs mode for bibulus.

I'm not sure whether it should be a part of it, or whether it should
be a co-developed project.  I'd certainly love to have such a mode
myself (especially if it could do some validation of the
bibliographies), but emacs shouldn't be a prerequisite for installing
Bibulus IMHO.

/Thomas
--
\author{Thomas Widmann\thanks{3/2,  54 Mavisbank Gardens,  Glasgow  G51\,1HL,
Scotland, address@hidden Tel.~+44 (141) 419\,9872.}\\{\tt address@hidden