bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] PPA for bino with ffmpeg-mt

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] PPA for bino with ffmpeg-mt
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 17:11:41 +0100

On 03/12/10 18:07, Lion-Simba wrote:
>> Is there some restriction on the number of threads, for example should
>> it always be a power of two?
> I can't see anything bad with this approach. BTW, limit of 64 maximum
> threads is absolutely random, maybe it should be smaller or bigger, or
> no limit at all.

Yes, it is random, I just wanted to avoid completely nonsense values. My
guess was that even if you have a 256-core machine, you probably don't
want to use more than 64 threads for video decoding. Of course, this can
be changed when it becomes a problem :)

> I've made patch, which add -b (--benchmark) command line option. In
> benchmark mode bino doesn't play audio and don't use any timesync for
> video, playing video as fast as possible. Each 250 frames it show
> current FPS value.
>
> Then, I build two versions of bino with this patch: one on vanilla
> ffmpeg, and one on ffmpeg-mt.
>
> The results of benchmarking are included.

Thank you very much, this is very useful! Also for measuring performance
differences with different Equalizer configurations.

I applied your patch with a few tiny modifications:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/bino.git/commit/?id=1b1d643e77b281e17975d8754ee39c32e1003922

Martin