bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] bino & nvidia gt430

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] bino & nvidia gt430
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 20:43:38 +0200

On 01/04/11 20:13, Alexey Osipov wrote:
>> Hmm... I would like to use GPU's on graphic card (nvidia gt430) instead
>> main CPU. I have thought it was using opengl, was I right?
>
> Bino uses OpenGL for making 3D from separated left-view and right-view
> images. Decoding of these images is ffmpeg's opportunity, which not uses
> GPU. This was discussed recently in "ffmpeg-mt" topic on this list.
>
> Shortly:
> Yes, Bino uses GPU (OpenGL) for stereo image rendering.

... including color space conversion and resizing (these things are
often done on the CPU instead).

>> I installed bino from repository
>> https://launchpad.net/~lion-simba/+archive/bino-mt, but as I wrote I got
>> message "Unrecognized OpenGL version", and the picture was unstable
>> (ugly frame delay).
> Does other OpenGL applications works fine? glxgears, compiz, 3D games?

In particular, other OpenGL applications based on Qt? The message
"Unrecognised OpenGL version" is not generated by Bino; it seems to be
generated by Qt (which passes its messages through Bino's logging code).

Apparently, your Qt version (4.6.2) cannot handle OpenGL versions >=
4.0: When the version string starts with 4., it just emits the warning
message that you see and essentially assumes OpenGL 1.0.

This may look like an April 1 joke, but see here
<http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16220834&linkID=9242258>
and here
<http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt/commit/0a94e2af3c29afa6e8d7ae3041bed4f187b3c1ca>.

If this is true, you either need to install a new version of Qt, or an
older driver. Or tell Ubuntu to please fix the 10.4 Qt packages; after
all, 10.4 is an LTS release.

Martin