bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] adding chapters, skipping chapters in video files

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] adding chapters, skipping chapters in video files
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 16:23:25 +0100

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 11:50:41 -0800 (PST), Nate wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 18:26:36 -0800 (PST), Nate wrote:
> > > I'm interested in  creating this feature.
> > > Either as an external text file with the data  that you would load
> > > each time. or using something like mp4box to add the  metadata
> > > directly to the movie file.
> > >
> > > how difficult do  you think this would be?
> >
> > It should not be too diffcult. FFmpeg already  supports chapter
> > metadata (see the AVChapter entries in AVFormat). You would  have to
> > extract it and export it from media_object/media_input to the
> > player and user interface, and then add controls that let the user
> > jump  between chapters.
> >

> What's the best way to export those values to the player UI?
> Can I just write a getter function to pull out the values?
> Or is the media object already available in the UI code?

The UI knows about the player, which in turn knows about the media
input.

The question is how you would like to present chapters to the users. Do
you just want forward/backward chapter skip buttons? Or also e.g. a
ComboBox that lets the user choose a chapter? Should the UI display
which chapter is currently active? I never saw video files with
chapters and have no idea how they are supposed to be used.

Switching chapters should work through the controller/notification
mechanism; then we can easily add support for LIRC remote controls and
Equalizer in addition to the GUI.

Admittedly, this part of the code is very ugly. It comes from a very
early version of Bino that did not yet have a GUI. I'm currently
restructuring this so that adding new features will be easier in the
future.

Martin