bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Understanding refresh rates, etc

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Understanding refresh rates, etc
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 17:44:32 +0200

Hi Tim!

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:20:45 +0100, Tim Sampson wrote:
> I'm just trying to understand the whole business of refresh rates and
> playing 3D material. As I understand it, a 3D blu ray has video streams
> intended to be played back at 24Hz which is then uncompressed to supply
> 48 frames per second. If this video stream is converted to an MKV file,
> Bino (latest test version) will happily play it at 120 frames per second
> alternating the left and right frames. How is that magic performed? Are
> frames repeated?

Yes.

Input frame rate and output frame rate are independent.

Bino reads a video frame and looks at its time stamp, which is
usually defined by the input frame rate.

It then sets the output image to this input frame as soon as the next
display output frame has a time stamp >= the input frame time stamp.

The output image remains the same as long as no new input frame is set.
There is no interpolation in the time domain.

Martin